Friday, February 24, 2012

polka dot attack pinwheel!

I've noticed this trend for some quilters to name their quilts. They always seem to have serious names, like Serenity or Still Waters or even formal names like Isabella. I mean, that's nice and all, but I'm thinking, if I ever were to name my quilt, I would want the name to jump out and attack you. (Rather like my quilts, I suppose.) So, I humbly present the almost finished quilt top for Polka Dot Attack Pinwheel!


Yes, the exclamation point is a mandatory portion of the name. And as always, if I ever did gift this to a baby, it would be more of a "stimulating" quilt than a relaxing slumber quilt.

I still need to add the border, but I'm officially in love. I like to think that when this quilt is finished, and I'm snuggling in it, if anyone tries to mess with me, I can sic my attack pinwheels on them. Smart idea, right? Attractive, AND functional. Sometimes my brilliance startles even me.

Most importantly, there are FIFTEEN sets of four corners where the blocks come together. FIFTEEN. And would you like to know something that I am especially proud of? ALL FIFTEEN of those corners are perfection. I spent plenty of time pinning those puppies into place with not one, not two, but THREE pins each, then meticulously sewed just over that intersection, before examining it to make sure it was perfect, and was all ready to bust out my seam ripper if it wasn't. But apparently three is the magic number because when I carefully examined each set of corners, expecting mistakes and an utter lack of perfection, in its stead was a perfect meeting of the four. That was pure bliss, folks.

I also spent last night cutting fabric and prepping squares for more HSTs. Surprising to me, the design for my glider pillow will feature eight of them. (I figure, for as good of enemies as we are, why work with them when I don't have to?) But it's good practice, and I am determined they will meet up too. And I will rip them apart and re-sew until they do. I need to figure out if I want to use plain black fabric for the envelope closure or go with something else. The decisions, people! And yes, I think I've officially decided to set the other project that I hate (for now) aside. I think this is a healthy decision.

Now please excuse me while I try to educate Banzo on why it's not cool to throw an ice cream scooper around the house.

11 comments:

  1. The quilt looks awesome! When D told me last night that you had perfect corners, I thought he was talking about the binding, and I nearly fell out of my chair in shock and fear at how fast you had torn through the rest of the quilt. =] But now everything makes more sense, and I am comforted by the fact that you haven't spent every minute of your time since the last time I saw you holed up at home sewing like a madwoman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes more sense! I was like, why is she so surprised, haha! No, I may get courageous enough to add the border before I see you next, but I need to discuss quilting options with you before I am brave enough to go any further than that!

      Delete
  2. Also, the name is awesome, and suits the quilt well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! I'm particularly fond of the name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aliza! I mean, I LOOOOOVE the quilt, but the name might actually be my favorite part, haha.

      Delete
  4. The quilt is looking stupendous, amazing, awesome, and I love the name.

    Fun names are so much better than serious ones. If I ever quilt, I'm naming mine I Heart Bacon. Just because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to quilt if only so you can make a quilt named that. So. Awesome.

      Delete
  5. I very much hope that quilt is meant to stimulate! It makes me dizzy!! :D Naw, it's super awesome and it hsould have a fantastical, dizzying name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am! That was the intention. Dizzy! Attack! Go pinwheels!

      Delete
  6. If you think about it, the jaggy edges on the pinwheel look kindof like sharp, pointy teeth...

    ReplyDelete