Monday, February 6, 2012

quilt #3.

Saturday was fabric shopping day, and it was a DOOZY of a fabric shopping day. As always, the lovely K was invaluable, and while I did make some changes to the idea in my head that I had for quilt #3, there weren't as many changes as I thought there might be. And in fact, I'm so excited about these changes that I think it's going to be a super more awesomer quilt.

And since this quilt isn't a secret, would you like to see my fabric? Of course you would! Here, in all their glory, the SEVENTEEN different types of fabric:


(Yes, that's my favorite Paperchase Christmas Tree plate.) 

Yesterday, I spent three (four?) hours soaking them for excess dye, washing, and pressing this stack of fabric. Now, they are all draped over a chair, waiting for me to cut into them. You are probably wondering how all of these fabrics are going to come together, and I'm not going to tell you that. You'll just have to stick around and see. I will tell you that the very bottom fabric (that awesomely fierce white and black print) will be the backing fabric, so don't have a heart attack thinking I'm going to sick this overly stimulating quilt on someone. I read a blog entry recently where a woman used this pale butter yellow to back a quilt, and sure, it was pretty and all, but I kept thinking, a little boring, don't you think? There's a place in this world for pale butter yellow backing fabric, sure, but not in an Audrey quilt. (I reserve the right to change my mind on that at any time.) For now, BAM! Black and white bold designs!

We survived our first no-daddy day, and it went fairly well. The boy is definitely missing his papa, but we're keeping it together. I'm trying not think about how much it would suck if my husband's flight home crashed and I became a widow with two little ones. (Overactive imagination, much?) I've got bread dough rising for raisin bread, and I've got fresh hummus in my fridge and a tasty avocado to finish off. I had NO idea that avocado would be so tasty in quesadillas. The warm tortilla and cheese, mixed with spinach and topped with aforementioned hummus? All made EVEN BETTER with the addition of the smooth sliced avocado? Quesadillas would definitely be my desert island food. Tonight's dinner plans include soba noodles in a peanut sauce with sauteed chicken and veggies. (I heart soba.) Lunch...will probably be a repeat of last night's dinner. I'm craving pumpkin cookies, so I'll probably whip up some of those in the near future. Today is certainly shaping up to be a good food day, but with teams of men with chain saws attacking trees up and down my street, I'm not sure how well Banzo's nap is going to roll. Every time they slug into a tree, he yelps and comes running to sit on my lap.

12 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to see all of those fabrics come together!

    Also, how can you possibly hail from the southwest and /not/ have tried a quesadilla with avocado?? Isn't it fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of guacamole, and I just assumed I wouldn't like avocados. It wasn't until fairly recently that I tried one and discovered how lovely they are. Weird, huh?

      Delete
    2. But... but... guacamole is just mashed avocado!

      Delete
    3. My dad made guac in his restaurant, and it included spicy salsa and other seasonings. I don't actually know how other people make guacamole--doesn't it traditionally have tomatoes in it?--but I could never handle his.

      Delete
    4. My guac is just avocado, onion, cilantro, and lemon juice. Lots of people like a lot of other stuff in it, but I'm a simple guy when it comes to guac. Just give me the avocados, man!

      (Also, Karen hates my guacamole, I think mainly because of the onions)

      Delete
  2. Avocado: the new green chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer avocados to green chile, actually. You should make an avocado sauce and market it as green chile sauce and see how it goes over....

      Delete
    2. I would totally do it, too.

      So you're more of a red chili person, then?

      Oh wait, you don't like spicy stuff too much. So you're neither.

      Delete
    3. Do it, but wait until I'm there to observe the fits of rage that explode around you when you insist it's a "chili" sauce. :)

      And yep, I'm a neither.

      Delete
  3. Oh, man! That quilt is going to be awesome. I love your choice of colors.

    I'm intrigued by avocado in quesadillas, I have to say. And by intrigued, I mean I'm drooling! Sounds superb. :)

    (Also, ZOMG, Sew Sassy has such pretty fabrics. We went there this week, and I wanted to buy one of everything!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are oh-so-oh-so tasty! You have to try it!

      Yes, I have a major problem at Sew Sassy. There are several bolts of fabric that I am actively coveting.

      Delete
  4. LOVE avocados. Love them. I am going to make some hackish guacamole for lunch today in fact!

    ReplyDelete