Wednesday, November 2, 2011

SW: Potato Soup (Redemption!)

Last year's Soup Week should have featured Potato Soup. Instead, my body revolted, and I became horrifically ill and actually visited the doctor. This year, I sought revenge! Or at the very least, redemption. As an extra Soup Week bonus, I am posting my potato soup “recipe” to make up for missing last year. Yes, I know. I'm a peach like that.

This recipe is actually built from my mama's. As a child, I begged my mom for one of two dishes: her amazing chicken fried chicken with homemade mashed potatoes and gravy so good that I would eat it straight from the pan sans potatoes; and her potato soup, which she made in the winter, in copious amounts, and which made me so happy that I regularly did the potato soup dance. No, you may not see it, so don't bother asking.

I'm going to use the oh-so-telling quotation marks around “recipe” because I don't measure ingredients for dishes I learned from my folks. They never did. However! I will provide a rough idea of the ratios. You'll have to be brave and make this to taste, but I believe in you!

Potato Soup-Wednesday
Original “Recipe” from my mama!



Ingredients:
  • 8 medium-sized russet potatoes, cubed
  • lots of milk and water (see ratios below)
  • kosher salt
  • ½ of an onion (not food processed to smithereens!) I cut an onion in half, peeled off the outside, and dropped it in the pot.
That's it. I also garnished with bacon bits (that I tore from strips of bacon, not the ones you buy in the store) and parmesan cheese. However! My mama used to throw in whatever we had on hand, so I have had this same base of soup with the following ingredients:
  • corn
  • ham
  • broccoli
  • cheddar cheese
  • sour cream
  • carrots (admittedly not my favorite)
  • various herbs and spices
  • green chile (if you're adventurous and can get your hands on some)
  • etc.
Now, prepare yourself for a very technical and precise “recipe.”
  1. In a 6 qt. pot, add milk (2/3 of your liquid) and water (1/3 of your liquid) leaving a couple of inches of room in the pot. Add potatoes and turn heat to medium-high heat. Add some kosher salt.
  2. Cook a LONG time. When your liquid gets too excited and tries to escape the pot, you need to turn your heat down to medium (or lower, depending on your stove's macho-ness) and cover.
  3. When the potatoes are super soft, smash them into nothingness with a potato smasher. Taste. Add any other ingredients you're feeling, and if you're adding raw veggies, give them enough time to cook. Salt and pepper as needed.
  4. Garnish with cheese and bacon bits (or whatever compliments your particular variety).
  5. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Where's the diagram? I want my diagram of milk and water ratios!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought I fixed that. I drew one, but I couldn't get my computer hooked up to the scanner to load it. Maybe later today.

    ReplyDelete