Tuesday, November 1, 2011

SW: Chicken Tortilla Soup (Guest Post)

Brace yourself! Awesome incoming!
I'm so so so excited to tell you that this afternoon's edition is another guest post from a good friend of mine. And lucky for you, she's also from the southwest, so when she says she's giving you an authentic offering, you'd best believe her, then immediately rush out, buy the required ingredients, and prepare this soup. I present, Aliza's Chicken Tortilla Soup!

---

Tortilla Soup-Tuesday
Recipe from Aliza!


This was originally a random recipe that I stumbled across online, but altered to make it more "authentic." It makes between 8 and 10 servings. Freezes well up to 3 months.

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups of salsa (I prefer medium heat)
4 mined garlic cloves
1 small white onion, diced
~1/2 cup of skinless, roasted green chile, chopped (small can/jar if you don't store any)
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (I try to find the biggest bunch possible)
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 teasp. chili pepper
4 cup chicken broth (1 box)
1 teas. salt
1 teas. pepper
2 flour tortillas 
shredded cheese for topping

 
Directions:
1. Boil chicken in a med-large pot.
2. In separate pan, brown onions with garlic, cilantro, chile, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
3. Once chicken is cooked (approx. 20 minutes), drain water, cut into chunks and place back into pot.
4. Add contents of pan, salsa, and broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, bake tortillas on cookie sheet (or straight on the shelves) at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until crispy. Break into small pieces or cut into strips.
6. After the soup has simmered, serve into bowls, then sprinkle tortilla pieces and cheese into each bowl.
7. Enjoy!

---

Aliza is awesome! She has somehow harnessed the power to bend time, and her daily routine includes university coursework, wifery, photography, painting, home improvement/decorating, and—oh, did I mention?—mothering an adorable eighteen-month-old. Time-bending=amazing! Not only is she an avid soup lover, but I have it on good authority that she makes a mean latte. I know, I know, you'd think that Aliza can't be any more awesome, but you'd be wrong. She BLOGS here and here. Go read her stuff, and you'll see what I mean.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to make this! Thanks, Aliza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks again for letting me be a part of one of the best weeks of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love soups. I need to try some of these, although if I tried to make soup all week, Dan would flip, haha. I think I'm going to have to post a soup now in honor of your soup week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, I am so lucky that Nathan loves soup as much as I do. (Or maybe more!) I know that it's weird though.

    I would LOVE it if you posted a soup recipe. I would also LOVE to post a link to it if that's okay with you! :)

    ReplyDelete