Monday, July 23, 2012

conquering my addiction.

Friends, I've done my best to conquer my addiction.

I've practiced strict, cold turkey regiments. I've practiced stepping stone elimination processes to reduce withdrawal, and I have done my best to just not think about that aching feeling inside of me, demanding to be filled by books.

But I think I really do have a problem.

That's the first step, right? But I'm not actually sure I want to recover, though I may rethink that statement the next time we move.

I visited the library this weekend, and oh my awesomeness. They had a library sale. We're talking BRAND NEW hardbacks here, peeps, for amazing prices. I know I know I know that I said I wasn't buying books this summer so that I wouldn't have to lug them home, but dudes, how could I pass them up? Here's my loot:

Sure, I already have a copy of Guernsey, but since I have read that book about eight times, I decided that I needed a copy in hardcover. I also picked up an Elizabeth Peters novel--don't judge!--and a Geraldine Brooks book which I started but had to return to the library before I finished, and a copy of The Three Musketeers so that I can return the copy I've been borrowing from K for the past kajillion years. :) Oh! And an Arthur Conan Doyle collection. Volume 2! Woot!


Did I mention that I paid $5 for these bad boys? That's $5 TOTAL, not $5 each. (Fist pump!) And do you see my kid's hands going for my books? BAD! No! Those are PRISTINE hardbacks. Leave them alone! Well, the Everyman's Library isn't pristine, but the pages are so lush and fantastic.

Now, down to business. What have I been reading? I finished Ex Libris, but you already knew that. I finished The Statistical Probabilities of Falling in Love, which should have been on the list, but wasn't. (And it's a YA title, meaning I've found a way to check them out, even if I can't peruse the shelves!) I'm moving through Pilgrim and Elantris, and I just picked up Finnikin and Here Lies. When it rains, it pours, right? (Those are mostly abbreviated titles, BTW, because I'm too lazy to type out the full thing. You'll forgive me because you always do. Thanks for that!)

12 comments:

  1. That's super sweet that you were able to write through that scene! Whoohoo! (Did you celebrate?)

    Also, I want you to know that by mentioning Elantris you sent me on a Sanderson reading frenzy, including his Mistborn follow-up and Elantris. I have a hold on his new, new book, and am planning to rescue Mistborn from the clutches of a friend this coming October. Or maybe I'll get it from the library in the meantime.

    Now that you have all of your fancy new (old) books, are you planning to read them all? Or are you saving those for after your summer plans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did celebrate! I made yummy zucchini bread!!!!

      Sanderson has a new, new book? What? And how did you feel about the Mistborn follow-up? Nathan and I spent quite some time arguing about it. :P

      Sadly, I'll probably hold off diving into any of these titles for a bit. I have quite a few books to finish up before I have to take them back to the library. I think the first I'll try to dive into is Dumas. Did N mention that he finished The Count of Monte Cristo? He only wants to read short books for awhile. :)

      Delete
    2. Whoops, I guess Alloy of the Law is the new new book. I guess I mean the new book? I thought Alloy was.. interesting. I felt like I needed to have read the trilogy more recently to connect all of their references. I thought the book was entertaining, but I didn't feel like the mechanisms for how the metals had evolved to their current state made sense. We can talk more in person, though. =]

      Did he like the Count? I can't blame him for wanting shorter books, though. It's a big commitment for the long ones!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you completely about Sanderson.

      Nathan liked the Count--I think. He talks about how great is is, then how frustrated he was by certain parts. I explained to him that it is a serial novel (and what that means) and I think that explained a lot of his frustrations. I told him it could be worse--in Elizabeth Gaskell's serial novels, sometimes she forgot character's names so just made up a new one, haha. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! Ooh! How are you liking Pilgrim? I'm re-reading it myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are moments of awesomeness (the penny concept of wealth in ch. 2 is so far my fave bit of the book), there are moments of ick (the bug that kills the toad early in the book), moments of hilarity (She has a line that says something like, I wish I knew all the grass varieties--and cared), and moments that really make me think. I'm not that far in--I find I need to read it when I'm nice and awake, not right before bed like most of my latest reading, but I'm making progress. I'm so glad you recommended it! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, the penny part is awesome. My aim id (not that I use it much) "hiddenpenny" was inspired by Pilgrim.
      The giant water bug part is icky,...but isn't it glorious in its ickiness?
      And what I LOVE about Dillard is how she works and reworks images throughout the book until by the end, they are just thick with meaning.
      Yay!

      Delete
    3. It's true! Even when she's icky, she's wonderful, haha! :)

      Delete
  3. You can always mail your books to yourself so you don't have to carry them on the plane!

    As for the writing, congratulations! I'm so excited that you've made so much progress. And yay, Mr. Audrey, giving you some good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a brilliant idea. Media mail is pretty cheap too, and books really weigh a girl's suitcase down!

      Delete