Monday, January 23, 2012

binding. again.

The time has come for me to once again pick up the needle and get to work hand-sewing. Thankfully, I'm not shrieking in terror this go-around, though there is something still intimidating to seeing those thin strips ready to be attached. I've decided my corners are going to look hot this time, and no one (or bit of fabric) can stop me!

The quilt keeps tossing me around and making me change my mind from the idea in my head. It's a great thing--I like the emerging product better than I like the idea in my head--but sometimes it's frustrating, like when I cut enough black binding to finish off the quilt, then discover that maybe the black looks too stark against the top. Granted, the little over an inch of black that frames it now will be reduced to about 1/4" when the whole thing is said and done, and maybe it'll look fierce, but I worry that I won't know for sure until I finish the hand-sewing, and then, I'm not ripping it out to satisfy anyone. Also, the backing fabric, which I liked and thought was bold and fun and different from the front, but still in a way that coordinated, really needs a black binding to polish it off. My initial thoughts were to go with a green or purple, but when I decided on that backing, it had to be black. Which in the store, seemed like an awesome idea. And now I'm learning that things don't always work out as I plan. That's okay, but I'm hoping everything comes together in the end. Also, is it bad that I'm consoling myself with the knowledge this won't be staying in my home, staring at me?

I had planned to start cutting fabric for my next project earlier this month, and while the fabric has sat washed and pressed for some time, I just haven't mustered up the motivation. I think that's because I'm really hoping to have this quilt done by end of January, and starting another project, even just the fabric cutting, takes away from it.

My next sewing project is much much smaller and won't require any quilting or binding. When looking for fabric for quilt #2, I fell in love with a gray and white print that I tried to convince myself could work as backing, but ultimately came to my senses and picked another fabric instead. Then, when I had to go back to the store to buy an extra bit of fabric since I was THREE INCHES SHY, I couldn't find the gray and white print, and I wanted to weep. But that settled that. I would just have to find another fabric I loved.

When I slipped into the store another time to pick out fabrics for this project, I happened to peek around a corner and look up, and there was the fabric I loved, hidden on a shelf! There were almost tears. And when I discovered it was from Lotta Jansdotter, and she had an entire collection, I decided I loved her a little bit too. I also purchased her choma goldenrod fabric, and a handful of other gray and white fabrics (both print and solid) to cut up for pillowcases for my couch! (I may have "accidentally" purchased too much, just in case I want some later for other projects.) Both prints are large, but they're going into big 14" blocks for the pillows, so I'm hoping that they'll showcase well. If they don't turn out, there will be sniffling.

Speaking of amazing fabric, I kind of also love this collection. But then, how could I not love the work of someone named Tula Pink? Do I see ideas for my next next project emerging? (Alright, hold on there, killer.)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know a lot about quilting, but I'm guessing that it works a lot like other creative things -- you have to do what the judges are always telling Project Runway contestants to do, and trust your instincts.

    That's a beautiful fabric collection! I think it would be beyond awesome to design fabric for a living. Or even for fun. Spoonflower.com apparently lets you do just that. And I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm going to have to order some of the Prince Charming collection! What have you done?! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SS-I thought about a line from your latest blog about wondering if it would turn out and the "we'll see" mentality. I have definitely had some of those moments during this quilt!

    And Aliza, if you like the Prince Charming one, check out her Parisville collection. It's the tale of Marie Antoinette, and I found it after writing this blog. I love THEM BOTH.

    ReplyDelete