Monday, October 31, 2011

SW: Pumpkin Pork Chili


Welcome to Soup Week 2011 at Hot Pink Mama! I have been dreaming of fresh soup ideas since last year's bash, and I'm eager to share with you the five delicious recipes for this year's soiree! (And by five, I actually mean TEN!)

August 2011 marked the start of my third year of midwest life, and to honor that momentous occasion, I decided to learn how to make a “chili.” Being a desert girl, chilis are weird and exotic, but I was determined that I wasn't going to make any ol' chili. It would be a creative one! Unique! Exciting! Innovative! And when I found a recipe on the food network's website, I flipped. It was perfect! (Or, it would be, after I modified it.) It was seasonal, exciting, and promised to be an adventure, and I'm really hoping you're ready to take the plunge and go with me. I present:

Pumpkin and Pork Chili-Monday



Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into ½ inch cubes
  • 1 12-ounce bottle Negro Modelo
  • kosher salt
  • 3 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup veggie oil
  • 1 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 medium white onions, food processed to smithereens!
  • 4 cloves garlic, food processed to smithereens!
  • 1/8 cup New Mexican red chile powder***
  • Lime wedges, for serving 
***You may not find this in your regular grocery store, meaning you'll have to check a specialty store, or even better, one of those little tiny Mexican grocery stores that are awesome! I can find it here with relative ease, so I'm hoping you can too. If you can't, use the chili powder of your choice, though you'll probably want to kick it up a notch, maybe as much as another 1/8 cup. 
    1. In a large pot, toss together your pork, the beer, 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Simmer over medium heat, and because foam will form, skim that stuff off! Add half of the oregano, cover, and cook approximately 30 minutes.
    2. While those ingredients are starting to get to know each other, combine 3 tablespoons of pumpkin and the sour cream in a bowl. Salt to taste, then cover and chill.
    3. Heat up the veggie oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, poblano, onions, garlic, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Cook until translucent, but not browned, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining oregano and the red chile powder, and cook another 5 minutes. Then add your remaining pumpkin, and cook another 5 after that.
    4. Add the tomato mixture to the large pot and simmer with the pork until your pork is tender, give or take 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve the chili, topping with the pumpkin/sour cream mixture. Garnish with limes, and if you're feeling like it, add cheese, such as mozzarella or parmesan.
    5. Yum!
    Come back later today for my first guest post, a soup so yummy in your tummy that you'll swoon! (I can say this with confidence. I have DEVOURED this soup more than once.)

    1 comment:

    1. Hello, Audrey's wonderful readers! I can attest that this soup is delicious and possibly addictive. You'll love it -- so go make it!

      ReplyDelete